"Take me to the hardware shop." Payasa requested firmly.
"No." Wilo said staring at the road.
"Now."
"I SAID NO."
"WILO JUST TAKE ME,"
Our bodies flew forward, Wilo had stomped on the brakes.
"If you wanna go, then go. When you get caught up again, don't come running back."
"Shut up Wilo, it's my life. Don't worry though, you'll get over it... Eventually." She got out and slammed the door purposely. Payasa'a appearance got smaller by every step she took.
"Are you kidding me? She literally just got out today,"
"And? You know how Payasa is, she don't listen to no one."
I felt my temper rising the longer I looked at Wilo with his careless expression. Even though we weren't together, I still cared about her.
"Look Wilo, if you're not going to do anything, I will."
"Enlighten me."
I unbuckled my seat beat vigorously and hopped out. The door wasn't even halfway closed and Wilo zoomed off.
I stood there for a while, circling around to see if she was anywhere in sight. I knew the area though, I was in the neighborhood I used to live in when I was a kid. I knew there was shops a few blocks away, a hardware store to be specific. I asked people around me if they saw a girl that passed by, all I got were dirty looks and no's. I kept walking until I heard a familiar sound. It was the cracking sound a trash bag made, I cuffed my left ear with my hand and followed it until the sound got closer and closer. I found what I was looking for. I saw Payasa crouching behind a broken down car, next to a spray paint can. She held the bag to her face, deep inhaling and exhaling the fumes, removing the bag from her face after every whiff with a smile of satisfaction on her face. I stood there, watching her for a little bit. How could someone be this damaged? I questioned myself. I mean, like I knew I was bad, but I wasn't that bad. Her eyes widened and met with mine, she imediately tried to race away from me, but I caught up and grabbed her wrist. We ended up infront of the shops, parallel from the street where cars sped by. I snatched the bag away from her.
"Why?" I asked her, she knew what I was talking about.
"You've known me forever, don't act like you don't. You know that I'm always gonna be like this, and I can't help it." She gritted her teeth together as a tear ran down her face. Payasa never let anyone see her cry. I hugged her to try to comfort her but she pulled away.
"I don't want your pity." She slurred at me as she snatched the bag from my hand.
"But-"
Before I could finish my sentence she was already starting to walk across the street. And that was the last thing Payasa ever said to me. That day when she crossed, some dude sped through the red light and hit her. Doctors said she would be in a coma and that she'd be better soon, but I knew that wasn't the truth. It wasn't. I'd tell myself that I'd get over it eventually, but I couldn't. Payasa was gone.
Our bodies flew forward, Wilo had stomped on the brakes.
"If you wanna go, then go. When you get caught up again, don't come running back."
"Shut up Wilo, it's my life. Don't worry though, you'll get over it... Eventually." She got out and slammed the door purposely. Payasa'a appearance got smaller by every step she took.
"Are you kidding me? She literally just got out today,"
"And? You know how Payasa is, she don't listen to no one."
I felt my temper rising the longer I looked at Wilo with his careless expression. Even though we weren't together, I still cared about her.
"Look Wilo, if you're not going to do anything, I will."
"Enlighten me."
I unbuckled my seat beat vigorously and hopped out. The door wasn't even halfway closed and Wilo zoomed off.
I stood there for a while, circling around to see if she was anywhere in sight. I knew the area though, I was in the neighborhood I used to live in when I was a kid. I knew there was shops a few blocks away, a hardware store to be specific. I asked people around me if they saw a girl that passed by, all I got were dirty looks and no's. I kept walking until I heard a familiar sound. It was the cracking sound a trash bag made, I cuffed my left ear with my hand and followed it until the sound got closer and closer. I found what I was looking for. I saw Payasa crouching behind a broken down car, next to a spray paint can. She held the bag to her face, deep inhaling and exhaling the fumes, removing the bag from her face after every whiff with a smile of satisfaction on her face. I stood there, watching her for a little bit. How could someone be this damaged? I questioned myself. I mean, like I knew I was bad, but I wasn't that bad. Her eyes widened and met with mine, she imediately tried to race away from me, but I caught up and grabbed her wrist. We ended up infront of the shops, parallel from the street where cars sped by. I snatched the bag away from her.
"Why?" I asked her, she knew what I was talking about.
"You've known me forever, don't act like you don't. You know that I'm always gonna be like this, and I can't help it." She gritted her teeth together as a tear ran down her face. Payasa never let anyone see her cry. I hugged her to try to comfort her but she pulled away.
"I don't want your pity." She slurred at me as she snatched the bag from my hand.
"But-"
Before I could finish my sentence she was already starting to walk across the street. And that was the last thing Payasa ever said to me. That day when she crossed, some dude sped through the red light and hit her. Doctors said she would be in a coma and that she'd be better soon, but I knew that wasn't the truth. It wasn't. I'd tell myself that I'd get over it eventually, but I couldn't. Payasa was gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment